Discussion: Deleting words from the dictionaryReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 11 of 11  |  Show  posts at a time
BenWalton
BenWalton
Deleting words from the dictionary
Oct 13 2009, 2:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 13 2009, 2:36 AM EDT
We've all made the mistake of adding unwanted words to the dictionary - so the question is, how do you delete them? When I type in "brilliant", I now get "Brilliantwxx" which I added by mistake a few months ago.

Would be great if anyone knows how to delete the words? Also, does anyone know how to change the order of how they pop up? When I type in "us", "up" comes up first. I want "us" to be the default word!
5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
talontsi07
talontsi07
1. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Oct 13 2009, 9:51 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 13 2009, 9:51 AM EDT
I think the file is T9EnglishLdb.dll

You will have to open it up on your computer im sure

I haven't tried anything so I'm not sure if that file is what were looking for, but its a start.
1  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Dko3333
2. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Oct 16 2009, 3:35 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 16 2009, 3:35 AM EDT
I wrote HTC and got the following information on how to delete the user dictionary -

Thank you for your questions about how to delete an entry in the dictionary. We are more than happy to help you with this situation. In order to clear out a misspelled word you accidentally saved you must clear out the entire dictionary. To clear the dictionary you press Menu then go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and find the “Touch Input” program. Tap on the Clear data button.

20  out of 22 found this valuable. Do you?    

tskandier
3. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Nov 4 2009, 7:21 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 4 2009, 7:21 AM EST
"I wrote HTC and got the following information on how to delete the user dictionary -

Thank you for your questions about how to delete an entry in the dictionary. We are more than happy to help you with this situation. In order to clear out a misspelled word you accidentally saved you must clear out the entire dictionary. To clear the dictionary you press Menu then go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and find the “Touch Input” program. Tap on the Clear data button.

"
That works like an absolute dream, except for the nightmare of re-teaching it the 68K worth of words it's already learned. Good info, though. Thanks!
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
4. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Nov 4 2009, 7:37 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 4 2009, 7:37 AM EST
"I wrote HTC and got the following information on how to delete the user dictionary -

"
That doesn't work on my Tilt. I don't have Settings>Applications.

What works is Settings>Personal Tab>Input>Word Completion Tab then tap the box "Clear Stored Entries"

I have to agree with the other posts - if you have a large custom vocabulary stored, it is better to try tanontsi07's solution to go to T9EnglishLdb.dll and try to edit it. I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure how you would go about accessing and editing a .dll file, but it's worth a try. I will try it and post back if I have any success.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
SDsc_rch
SDsc_rch
5. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Nov 5 2009, 3:01 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 5 2009, 3:01 PM EST
seriously.. i really really REALLY hope this ends up on some kind of HTC "to do" list

i'm bungling my words/spelling too - and want to be able to go back and cull or otherwise remove and undo my mistakes

i like the initial idea - allowing the stock dictionary to "flex" to the demands of the user

but i want to be able to "un-flex" it at some point too

it would be a horrendous task to go through and weed out all the misspellings - maybe at the point where the word is being offered as a solution/substitution.. maybe that would be a good point to allow the user the chance to delete that entry from the pool of words in the dictionary

or (ooh! good idea!!) permit the user to scroll through recently added (or eventually ALL) user-defined or user-added entries

hmmmm..!!
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

x99percent
6. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Nov 6 2009, 12:36 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2009, 12:37 PM EST
Sgarrela:

This doesn't work on your Tilt, because the instructions are for an Android device.

Also, don't try to edit the dll file on your Windows Mobile phone... that is certainly not where your user-added words are stored.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
7. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Nov 6 2009, 1:29 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2009, 1:29 PM EST
"Sgarrela:

This doesn't work on your Tilt, because the instructions are for an Android device.

Also, don't try to edit the dll file on your Windows Mobile phone... that is certainly not where your user-added words are stored."
Thanks ! I didn't read far enough into the thread to see it was a android device that was being discussed. No wonder the menus are different !

I have mentioned to browntannis that we need to segregate the Windows Mobile Device questions from the Android Device Questions to keep this exact thing from happening. Fortunately, (or unfortunately) I haven't had time this week to go looking for T9EnglishLdb.dll
on my Tilt. I'll bet if I had - I wouldn't have found it : )

The new "Droid" that has just been released by Verizon looks interesting, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to learn a whole new OS. I hear Android is pretty bare bones without a lot of apps available. I will be interested to hear the opinion of Android users.
SDsc_rch
SDsc_rch
8. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Nov 6 2009, 6:28 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2009, 6:28 PM EST
android is going to be the next big thing

and, the competition will keep apple sharp

also, android isn't "there" yet - its good, definitely, but its got some rough edges too

2.0 is coming - that's going be big (yes, on the droid, but HTC is also building sense UI for Android2.0 and we should have it by years end)

but we'll have to wait longer for the hardware to catch up to all that android can offer

its still going to be laggy and not as smooth as an iphone for some time to come

come back this time next year and it should be a different story

but i love my hero now!:)

dtcmusic
9. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Dec 17 2010, 12:31 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 17 2010, 12:31 AM EST
On the HTC Desire I found if you press Menu, Settings, Language and Keyboard, Touch Input then User Dictionary, you can add and remove words there. 20  out of 20 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
10. RE: Deleting words from the dictionary
Jan 13 2011, 5:41 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 13 2011, 5:41 AM EST
"On the HTC Desire I found if you press Menu, Settings, Language and Keyboard, Touch Input then User Dictionary, you can add and remove words there."
As the devices and operating systems have become more sophisticated, and the OS authors have taken some of our recommendations seriously, these types of useful additions have begun to appear in the newer OS like the Desire.
9  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?